Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Keeping in touch with friends

I've realised something during my short work life of about 1 year 2 months, that when you work, you hardly have time for friends.

The only way I maintain contact with friends is through facebook, purposefully organised gatherings, church-related events, or once in a long while, last minute outings.

I used to hang out with Strikeforce pple like Boon, Ian, Neo, Millie, Liting, Yongqiang, Lianghong, Chaokiat, Nic, Lingling, etc, for hours and hours every week, either at practices, rehearsals, or just waiting to play a gig. Now its like, I don't have time to go for MTT, and after MTT the rest usually have practice for some upcoming gig and have to go studio or something. I really miss hanging out with them, performing with them.

And how about my cell group members? I only see them during service and cell group. Kinda hard to meet on weekdays given that we've got like zero common interest aside from God and church.

And my ex-cell group members? I only maintain constant contact with Boon kiat, Daryl, Clarence, Bowen cos of gaming interest, and of cos Michelle, Mikki and Yishan due to our closer friendship, the rest are simply not free to go out all the time. I try to meet up with Yongqiang and Yujie at least once every few months.

And besides church friends, i've got primary sch friends, JC friends, and other friends whom i've known n missed along the way. Old friends like Christine, Lewis, etc.

And whatever time I have, I try to spend with Joan cos I know she is struggling with her school and exams, and its my duty to encourage and support her. Afterall, she is my girlfriend and takes priority over everyone else. And I even miss her when I don't see her for a few days.

I'm surprised that on a weekday when i end work early, i go home eat dinner and read comics and sleep early and still feel lethargic the next day! I really cannot believe i get so tired so easily after work, when just a year ago, i would still go out almost daily to meet friends after work.

Of cos another factor is the finances i have.. i've given a lot for the building fund. even though the church website only registers $1600, which is WRONG cos i know i have given at least $3200, i felt really pissed off that the church can have such wrong info. i sacrifice a hell lot to give my building fund, and this isn't the first time the numbers are wrong. And besides the building fund and tithe which combined makes about $1200, i'm contributing $1200 monthly for a joint account. Which leaves me with only a little over $1200 to survive for the rest of the month.

After paying my bills ($70), topping u fare card, taxi trips ($200 approx), offerings and cell group fund ($100), insurance ($250), i have only about $600 for food and enjoyment. Think that's a lot? Assuming I spend $10 a day on food on working days, thats $200. Thats $400 left for me to spend on weekends. Divided by 8 days, thats $50 per weekend. I watch one movie with joan and have a nice dinner with her, easily $50-60. Last weekend I definitely spent more than that already, having a nice dinner with Jessie as well.

I mean, I'm living on the allowance of an NSman. They don't need to pay for food and lodging and get $450 to blow on weekends and I have even less than that to spend. Its freaking ridiculous when i think about it. My brother, going through NS, is earning more than me becos he isn't paying for anything and gets about $700 a month through his wedding videos.

And pple claim that being a lawyer means i'm rich. I really feel like punching those pple who say that to me. I grin and remain silent, cos i'm known for being a nice guy, and i know its not right to react with violence, but still i feel irritated and upset when pple make such remarks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home