Monday, March 31, 2008

What can you say to an old friend who's going away?

Well, she finally said she's leaving for Japan this coming sunday. 9.45 am at airport, which means if I were to send her off, I'd have to reach the airport at 7.45 am. Groan. How early is that? Oh well, I guess I'd go see her off (subject to approval from my girlfriend of course) cos its probably the last time I'm going to see her in like, maybe 1 or 2 years?

And really, who knows what can happen in those years? She might even decide to settle down in Japan if the work there pays her well enough. Apparently she's getting much more than what her local counterparts get.

Oh well, one thing that might draw her back would be her new boyfriend who bought her the white gold ring. For that, I'm pretty happy for her. Finally, a guy who adores her and treats her well, not like her previous boyfriends. I can finally stop worrying for her and rest assured that the powerful career alpha woman has finally met her match. Haha!

When I think about it, I realised that all my good friends somehow move out of Singapore.

Lewis has gone back to Holland, as well as his gangsta cousin Jonathan. (Well, I was never that close to Jonathan, but he was quite a nice fellow. And I was pretty close to his ex-girlfriend too even after they broke up, but even I have lost contact with Wudi when she went back to China.)

Jeff has gone to australia to study law, and I've sort of lost contact with him.

Jeremiah (the wacky Indian guitarist!) who was like my long lost brother in music has gone back to work in Malaysia.

Jessie has married Sean and they're staying in UK. (I realise my good friends' names mostly begin with J. LOL!)

And now, Ms Lena is going to Japan to work. (or L for that matter. Haha!)

To finally understand the meaning of those Shakespearan phrases, parting is such sweet sorrow. You know they have to go for their own good and purposes in life, so you're happy for them, and yet there is sorrow in losing a friend.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but they also say out of sight, out of mind. I wonder if these people still remember me or think of me as a good friend? Or they're too busy wrapped up in their own lives and problems to remember this lame skinny guy who once considered them good friends?

Oh well, I guess we'll all meet up in heaven some day. That's the most comforting thought I have, really. Thank God that we have eternal life, so that we don't just spend it with Him, we also get to spend time with many loved ones and friends who have made it to the pearly gates, and we'll have a great time celebrating and enjoying life in heaven. Or at least I hope I make it there and not the other place! Hahaha..

In the meantime, I pray that God reminds me not to take the people around me for granted, to treat my friends and family better, especially my dear beloved Joan. She's been so supportive these past few weeks when I'm feeling down, she's an absolute angel. *goofy grin*

To Lena (just in case I don't make it to the airport):

I know you read my blog every other week or so, and I do read yours too, and I guess that's the only way we'll keep each other updated on stuff that's happening in our lives. SMS is too expensive, perhaps Skype. But of cos nothing beats going out for a cup of coffee and engaging in our stimulating, challenging conversations / debates. Haha.

Congrats on your new boyfriend once again, may the Lord bless your LDR and may you 2 resolve your quarrels peacefully and quickly. Of cos I'm not going to be naive and wish you the perfect "quarrel-free" relationship, cos that's just plain absurd, cos this is real life, and we're all imperfect. But rather, pray that God is in the center of your relationship with him, so that He will watch over both of you, as He watches over Joan and I.

I've got nothing else to say, except to thank you for being a great friend to me all these 8 years, since pre-U seminar 2000! 8 years, amazing. Honestly, you're one of the longest friends I've had so far, and we didn't even cross over into that messy grey area of friendship/love/like nonsense. All those times when we bitched about our lives, exchanged ideas on Christianity and watched so many crappy shows together. Haha!

I'm glad to have been a part of your life, no matter how small or insignificant. All the best in your career in Japan, its a whole new culture and lifestyle! Go and show those Japanese what Singaporeans are made off (haha) and work your @$$ off, while enjoying life in the process! Hehz.. Take care, God bless, bon voyage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home